The Toastmaster is the meeting’s director and host. A member typically will not be assigned this role until they are thoroughly familiar with the club and its procedures. As Toastmaster, you:
- Acquire a meeting agenda from your vice president education.
- Work with the General Evaluator to ensure all club participants know their roles and responsibilities.
- Introduce speakers during the club meeting, including their speech topic, project title, objectives, delivery time, etc. during your introduction.
- Ensure smooth transitions between speakers during the club meeting.
*Below are optional — communicate with VP-Education
- Decide meeting theme of the day, let the members know (especially Topics Master)
- Prepare 1-2 min inspirational speech (optional)
- Make sure all the roles are filled (arrive a bit early to make sure)
An overview of the basic meeting structure:
1. Opening: introduce meeting theme/ make opening remarks
2. Introduce meeting helpers (Timer, Ah-Grammarian, Zoom Master)
3. Prepared Speech Segment (Bring Evaluator to read the objectives first, then introduce Speaker and Speech title, let the Speaker start the speech)
4. Table Topics Segment(Introduce the TP Master and watch the time)
5. Evaluation Segment (Introduce the General Evaluator)
6. Closing remark
For details, please carefully study the agenda before the meeting.
Toastmaster of the Day: Sample Script
- Opening: introduce meeting theme/opening remark
“Thank you for the introduction. Hello everyone! I’m [name], it is my pleasure to serve as your Toastmaster this meeting. I choose [Meeting Theme] as my theme. (Make your opening remarks if you prepared, 1-2 min.)”
- Introduce Meeting Helpers: (Timer, Ah-Grammarian, Zoom Master)
“First of all, I would like to introduce our Meeting Helpers.”
Our Timer is , could you explain your role to the attendees, please. “
*Timer explains the duties*
“Thank you, [Timer name]. Next, Our Ah-Grammarian is , could you explain your role and introduce the Word of the Day, please. “
*Ah-Grammarian explains the duties and introduces the WoD*
Thank you, [Ah-Grammarian name].
“Finally, it’s an important helper for Online meeting, our Zoom Master.
Zoom Master , could you explain your duties, please.”
*Zoom Master explains the duties*
“Thank you, [Zoom Mastername].”
- Prepared Speech Segment
“We will now begin the Prepared Speeches segment. In this segment, our members will present prepared speeches”
“Our 1st speaker is , and her/his Evaluator is, . [Evaluator#1 name] could you read the project objectives?”
*Evaluator#1 reads the Objectives*
“Thank you, [Evaluator#1 name].”
It is my pleasure to introduce our (1st speaker), . Her/his Speech title is [Title #1] Let’s welcome [1st speaker’s name]!”
“Thank you, [Speaker #1 name]. I especially loved… (make a remark or two)“
Let’s move onto our 2nd speaker. Our 2nd speaker is , and her/his Evaluator is, . [Evaluator#2 name] could you read the project objectives?
*Evaluator reads the Objectives*
Thank you, [Evaluator#2 name]. Let me introduce our 2nd speaker, . Her/his Speech title is [Title #2] . [2nd speaker’s name], please take the floor!
Thank you, Speaker #2. That was a remarkable speech, especially… (make a remark or two)
It’s time to introduce our last speech. Our 3rd speaker is , and her/his Evaluator is, . [Evaluator#3 name] could you read the project objectives?
*Evaluator reads the Objectives*
Thank you, [Evaluator#3 name]. I’d like to introduce our 3rd speaker, . Her/his Speech title is [Title #3]. [3rd speaker’s name], please take the floor!
Thank you, Speaker #3. You picked a timely subject… (make a remark or two)
- Table Topics Segment *Transit to Table Topics Segment (Introduce TP master)
“We are now entering Table Topics segment. We are going to practice impromptu speech style. It is going to be run by our Table Topics Master , [name]. Please join me in welcoming our Table Topics Master, [name]”
*TP segment should end by 45 minutes after the meeting starts. At 43 minutes from the meeting start hour (Click here to check your Local Time), let TPmaster know: “Mr./Madam TP Master, let’s wrap up with the next speaker.“
*If TP master finishes before 40 minutes, let him/her to take a couple of more speakers.
- Evaluation Segment *Transit to Evaluation (Introduce General evaluator; he/she will take over)
“Thank you [Table Topics Master name] for (those thought provoking questions) and respondents (for taking the challenge).
Now we will enter the last segment of our meeting, Evaluations. This segment will be led by our General Evaluator . Let’s welcome [General Evaluator name ] for organizing our evaluation team ”
- Give the final remark and bring the Chairperson to the spotlight. Congrats!”Thank you, General Evaluator and evaluation team. I hope you enjoyed the meeting as I did. Here is my final thoughts: [your thoughts; up to 1 min.] Over to you, Mr./Madam Presiding Officer (or his/her name). “